January 12, 2011

New Year Resolutions 2011

Its been eleven days since the New Year, and I have yet to give a hint as to what my new year resolution (if any) is going to be for 2011. To tell you the truth, I am one of those who, every year, makes a resolution, fails in going through with it, and then say, its a whole lot of crap making these resolutions in the first place. I am so so guilty of that.

But this year, I decided to let actions speak louder than words. So I decided to play the wait and see game. I was spying on myself. I am glad to report that I seem to be on track with whatever resolutions I have made for myself. The first resolution is about my health. I decided I should get back to exercising regularly and stop using my beloved treadmill as a rack for my whatnots. I have started running regularly and I throughly enjoy it as I have in the past. I have also picked up swimming, and try and hit the pool with my son at least three times a week. Its not only a good form of exercise but adds to my quality mummy and son time.

The second resolution was to try and find myself at least a part-time job (with an external employer, not my own business) so that I can finally say that I am gainfully employed again. After a couple of years away from the work scene, I am ready to wet my feet again. Plus, I am truly fed up of being asked by members of my family, immediate and extended alike (a taboo of being Asian), why I am not back at work and what do I do all day! It can be really really frustrating and demoralising. Funnily, the concept of a full-time, hands-on mum is a worthless 'profession' in some circles. Anyway, back to the point. Well, I have been actively looking and have sent my CV to a couple of prospective employers todate. I am getting a nice feeling already even though I am currently joining the abyss of the job seeking part of the population.

The third resolution is to spend as much time and attention to my kids. Its not that I have not been doing this all along. I just want to pay even more attention, consciously, and be very much apart of what is going on not only in their lives, but also in their minds and hearts. I am seeing them grow so fast over the years and my time with them is so structured with the various activities and functions that I do with them as a mum. I am want to establish a friendship with them this time. I want to talk more, listen more, share more and conspire more with them. I want them to know I am on their team, on their side, all the time, everytime.

And finally, the last resolution is about me. I want to learn to put myself first. I want to prioritise my needs. I want to be equally as important as the rest of the members of my family. I want to speak my mind more often. I want to have the last say equally as much. I want to be heard. I want to be visible. I want 2011 to be about me.

Now, is this not a wonderful start to an exciting and hopefully amazing new year! Happy New Year everyone. May God bless you with your resolutions, hopes and dreams for this new year too.

No comments:

Post a Comment