February 24, 2011

Infertility: I Want Another Baby

I apologise for not being here for a couple of weeks now. I have had a lot on my mind. I now have more or less come to a conclusion. No, thats not really true. I am just stumped and dont know what to think. I guess I am just letting time take care of it. If I run out of time and nothing happens, then I will say, "Its fated" or "Its too late now, I am too old." However, if I am blessed with a miracle, then, I'll say, "Wow! Thank you God!". I'll just have to wait and see which it will be.

I have been thinking about becoming pregnant again. It's been on my mind for at least a couple of years, but now there is a sense of urgency as I will be thirty eight years old this year. My biological clock is screaming, loudly. There is so much to consider. There is so much at stake.

Its been about six years and three months since my son was born. We have not gotten pregnant since. No false alarms, no miscarriages, nothing. Neither have I been on any type of contraceptive medications. The doctors call this secondary infertility. Secondary infertility is when a women experiences difficulty conceiving after already having previously conceived a child, either to term or even ending in a miscarriage.

Secondary infertility. Thats me. I am blessed that I have my son. But I would like another child. My son would like another sibling. He misses having someone to play with, or even fight with at home. It's definitely better than being alone, stuck with two boring adults. He is lucky to have a wonderful cousin sister who spends a lot of time here with us. But he calls her his "part-time" sister as she has to go home at the end of the day. He wants a "full-time" sibling.

I keep thinking I have so little time to figure this out. It takes nine months to carry a child to term. It will take about a year (if I am lucky) to conceive if I consider IVF or the likes. It may take longer if I consider adoption. So what am I to do? Which option should I choose? What are the pros and cons of even picking any one of these options? I believe, the best option would be to suddenly find myself pregnant within the next three months. Thats the best bet I've got. If not?

No comments:

Post a Comment