July 22, 2013

Parquet, My Shiny Parquet

Parquet floors are lovely to have in a home. It adds to the ambiance and gives a warm cosy feeling to even a bare room. I have two rooms in my home with parquet floors.

One is my study cum library. It has withstood more than ten years of having furniture and fittings being placed on it and all the wear and tear of its basic purpose. Needless to say, I am the room's primary occupant. The parquet floors are still beautiful.

The second room is my son's. He has really put the room to good use over the last eight years and the numerous scratches and scraps on the surface bares testimony to it. There are not many things he didn't do in that room. From playing with his building blocks to train sets, wrestling with his WWF figures and other action hero's and villans alike, making forts and obstacles to defend his territory from make believe foes, to launching all kinds of sharp edged and heavy toys as artillery against these phantom foes. Over the last couple of years, he has added cricket and football to his list of games that my cupboards are falling off its hinges. Well, that's another story.

What I am trying to say is that, my beautiful parquet floor was disfigured by his enthusiasm to create a great play time. Last week, I managed to find someone to grind and polish the parquet in his room. For a small fortune, they took half a day to restore it back to this shinny luster. This is the first of many other repairs and purchases I have in mind to give him a 'new' room that he can be proud off. Let's see how he manages.


No comments:

Post a Comment