August 28, 2012

Chic Pea and Tofu Dry Curry (Vegetarian)

I twitted last evening that I had cooked something delicious and healthy for dinner and that I would take a picture of it. Well, procrastination never did work out well for me. I forgot. So I will owe you that recipe the next time I make it.

For tonight though, I have something very simple. Being a game night for my husband, he likes to have something easy and healthy when he gets home. So, here is my Chic Pea and Tofu Dry Curry recipe:

1 can Chic Pea (drain and wash away the liquid from the can)
2 squares of Tofu (pat dry and cut into bite size cubes)
1/2 white onion (diced finely)
3 cloves garlic (roughly chopped)
1 tsp mustard seed
2 stems of curry leaves (roughy chop the leaves)
3 pcs of dried chilli (cut roughly into 1 inch pieces)
1 tsp tumeric powder
1 tbs curry powder (more if you like it spicy)
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup of water
1 cup of powder milk mixed in water (instead of coconut milk)
Salt to taste

I fried the cut Tofu cubes in a little oil first so that it got a little firm to give it some texture. I removed it and threw in the onions. Once it was tender, I added the garlic, mustard seeds, dry chilli and curry leaves and sauted it for about 1 minute. I put in the tumeric and curry powder next and after a quick stir, I added the chic peas, taufu and about 1/2 cup of water so it does not burn. I let it simmer for about 3 minutes and then added the diluted powder milk and let this boil and reduce for about 5 minutes. Just before I turned the heat off, I added salt to taste. And there you have it. Simple and fast.

I prepared it in a dry style this time as we are going to have it with Chapati. You can always have more gravy by adding more water and milk as per your preference. I personally like this dish because its hign in protein. Since I use olive oil and powder milk as substitute for regular cooking oil and coconut milk, it also makes it less rich, albeit still tasty.

Chic Pea & Tofu Dry Curry (Vegetarian)

No comments:

Post a Comment