November 30, 2012

28 Day Diet - Day 12

After a week of, not necessarily bland food, but non-spicy fare, it was time to heat things up. I decided to make a spicy sardine sambal. Sambal is a thick saucy gravy where chillies are the star of the dish. I opened a tin of sardine in tomato gravy and cooked it with two large onions, five cloves of garlic, two tablespoons of extra spicy chilli paste and, to thicken the gravy, two tablespoons of tomato sauce. There was a definite kick from the chili paste.

To tamper down the spiciness of the dish, I made a simple vegetable dish of shredded cabbage and finely chopped long beans which I stir fried in half a small shallot. When it was half cooked, I broke an egg into it and gave it a good mix. Walla, a quick, easy and healthy vegetable dish. I especially added the egg to cut the heat from the sardine sambal for my son.

As I said before, I am not one to cook seperate meals for everyone. So the boys had it with rice and I, sticking to my diet, had it with a couple of slices of bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment